During housing

Instructions during housing can be found here.

Property management and maintenance

What is the property manager responsible for?

The property manager manages the current affairs of the building and takes care of the conditions of living in the building. The property manager is also responsible for the implementation of the repair plan and the budget. They ensure that the property is well and that the maintenance and repair costs are kept in check. The property manager also takes care of the flow of information, so that you know what is happening in your home.

You can contact property management in matters related to, for example, residents’ activities, renovation or disturbances. The easiest way to contact the property manager is to fill out the electronic service request form.

Be sure to submit all notifications and plans for your alterations and renovations to your property manager for approval.

You can always find the contact information of the property management office on the notice board of your building, in the Kotiavain resident’s app and on Avain’s home page, under the contact information section.

When should I contact the maintenance company?

The maintenance company is responsible for ensuring that any faults in the property and the apartment are quickly repaired and the property’s equipment is maintained. Property maintenance will help you, for example, if you have forgotten your keys, you have a problem with an appliance that is part of the apartment, if the tap leaks or the balcony door or a window does not close. Property maintenance also takes care of the common areas and yards, as well as snow removal, sanding, lawn mowing and weeding. An easy way to report faults to the maintenance company is to fill in the electronic fault report form.
When you move in or out, submit a move notification to the property maintenance company.

When and how should I report faults?

You must always report any deficiencies or defects in the apartment or common areas.
So observe the function and condition of taps, toilet flushing equipment, heating, ventilation and electrical appliances – even in common areas. If you notice any defects or deficiencies, report them directly to the maintenance company by filling in the electronic fault report. A link to filling in a fault report can also be found in the Kotiavain resident app. You can also contact the maintenance company by phone; the contact information can be found on the notice board.

If you notice a defect that needs to be repaired urgently (for example, water damage, electrical failure or opening of the door) in the evening or at the weekend, please contact the property maintenance company’s on-call service immediately.

I want to make alterations in my apartment. What should I do?

You may make reasonable changes or renovations that improve your living comfort. You can ask for the alteration permit application from the property manager or print it here.

Please note that you must always follow the renovation instructions. Therefore, please read the How to renovate your home section carefully. In the section, you can check, for instance, whether you can make the alteration yourself or whether you should order it from a professional. In some cases, you may need to reconstruct the alteration to match the original.

In a new building, alterations and residents’ own repairs are not allowed during the warranty period (2 years). Additional and alteration work must always be agreed with the property manager. Residents moving out may need to restore wallpapered or painted walls, for example, to their original condition at the resident’s expense.

Please note that we have divided alterations into three categories:

  1. Permitted alterations that only need to be reported to the property manager before starting the renovation. These are paid for by the resident and not subject to compensation. The notification must specify the types and codes of the used materials (for example, only products suitable for wet areas can be used in wet rooms).
  2. Permitted alterations that require permission from the property manager and, possibly, work instructions. Some of these alterations are refundable as long as you provide receipts for the materials. Refundable alterations are amortised either within 3, 5 or 10 years of their date of payment. You will receive the compensation when you move out of your apartment if the amortisation period has not ended.
  3. Prohibited alterations, such as all alterations requiring a building permit, except for balcony glazing.