Alteration work

Alteration work instructions

I want to make alterations in my apartment. What should I do?

You may make reasonable changes or renovations that improve your living comfort. You can ask for the alteration permit application from the property manager or print it here.

Please note that you must always follow the renovation instructions. Therefore, please read the How to renovate your home section carefully. In the section, you can check, for instance, whether you can make the alteration yourself or whether you should order it from a professional. In some cases, you may need to reconstruct the alteration to match the original.

In a new building, alterations and residents’ own repairs are not allowed during the warranty period (2 years). Additional and alteration work must always be agreed with the property manager. Residents moving out may need to restore wallpapered or painted walls, for example, to their original condition at the resident’s expense.

Please note that we have divided alterations into three categories:

  1. Permitted alterations that only need to be reported to the property manager before starting the renovation. These are paid for by the resident and not subject to compensation. The notification must specify the types and codes of the used materials (for example, only products suitable for wet areas can be used in wet rooms).
  2. Permitted alterations that require permission from the property manager and, possibly, work instructions. Some of these alterations are refundable as long as you provide receipts for the materials. Refundable alterations are amortised either within 3, 5 or 10 years of their date of payment. You will receive the compensation when you move out of your apartment if the amortisation period has not ended.
  3. Prohibited alterations, such as all alterations requiring a building permit, except for balcony glazing.

Where can I get help and instructions for alterations?

You can always ask for advice on alterations from the property manager. You can find the contact details of your own property manager here. See also the How to renovate your home section. You should also look for general instructions and tips on renovation on the Internet. By using the material suppliers’ own instructions, you can avoid many mistakes and ensure a high-quality end result.

Can I get a refund for alterations?

Yes, for some of them. Refundable alterations always require permission from the property manager. You will get the refund if the refund period has not ended by the time your right-of-occupancy contract expires.

The maximum compensation amount is EUR 5,000. Your share of the payment is always 20%. The compensated amount will decrease over time to zero in either three (3), five (5) or ten (10) years from the payment dates marked on the receipts. Check the compensation period for each type of alteration in the alteration table. If the cost of the alteration applied for and carried out at one time is less than EUR 400, no compensation will be paid for it. If the costs or residual value of the alterations amount to less than EUR 100 when you move, they will not be refunded. In some cases, you can apply for a household allowance for the costs of the alterations. Read more at

Who is responsible for making and maintaining the alterations?

Larger alterations are usually made by professionals, but you can also make smaller alterations yourself. Please refer to the division of responsibilities table and the How to renovate your home section for more instructions.

The holder of the right of occupancy who has made or commissioned the alteration is responsible for maintenance. The alterations for which the resident is responsible are specified in writing in the right-of-occupancy contract. If the alteration is damaged for reasons beyond Avain’s or the resident’s control, Avain is liable for any repair costs only up to the original level that preceded the alteration.

The inspection carried out by the technical property manager is subject to a charge collected from the resident. Some of the permitted alteration work must be dismantled when moving out.