General rules and guidelines

House rules and taking care of your apartment

Can I transfer the right to use the apartment to another person?

Yes, with a fixed-term lease for up to two years. However, the reason must be weighty, for example, working or studying in another location. After obtaining permission to rent out the apartment, notify the owner in writing of the transfer and its duration one month in advance. Please note that handing over the apartment to another person does not release you from any of the obligations specified in the right-of-occupancy agreement. Handing over the apartment for short term accommodation for earning purposes (for example, on Airbnb), is not allowed.

What is the Kotiavain resident app?

Residents have access to the Kotiavain resident app (mobile/browser and, in some properties, a digital notice board). Log in to the Kotiavain resident app with a browser here. You will receive an invitation to register in the app automatically after your agreement has entered into force via the email you provided to Avain. You can download the One4all-Mobile app from the App Store or Google Play. If you need help using the service, please contact

Can I leave the apartment empty?

Yes, but it you must let the owner know and leave the safety lock open. You must also have an effective electricity contract for the apartment and home insurance, even if no one lives in the apartment.

Where can I find the house rules?

The house rules can be found in the Kotiavain resident app as well as on the notice board of your housing company. Keep in mind that your guests also need to follow the house rules.

How do I report a disturbance?

The notice of disturbance must always be given in writing to the property manager. You can report a disturbance electronically by filling out the fault report form. However, please remember that normal sounds of life are something we must all learn to live with. It is polite to inform your neighbours in advance of, for example, a party that may cause a disturbance by posting a note on the notice board. Please follow the house rules during the party, as well.

How do I take care of my apartment?

The contract specifies a duty of care, which means that the premises must be used and maintained with care and in accordance with the instructions given – whether it be ventilation, underfloor heating, or the use of machinery or appliances and the cleaning of surfaces with suitable materials and equipment.

It is also your responsibility to regularly maintain, for example, your apartment’s floor drains, supply and exhaust valve filters and cooker hood grease filters. In addition, you should clean the stove and oven with suitable substances and methods, defrost the freezer at least once a year, and vacuum the back walls of the refrigeration equipment regularly.

Please remember that the apartment is the property of Avain and you are liable for any damage that you or your guests may cause to the apartment, common areas or equipment, whether intentionally, through negligence or otherwise.

See further instructions in the How to take care of your home section of this website.

May I smoke in my home?

All of our new properties from 2019 onwards are smoke-free throughout the property area. All of our apartments are gradually becoming smoke-free: new residents’ agreements have banned smoking in apartments and balconies as of the end of 2023. The property may not be smoke-free for other apartments, as they may have old contracts that do not have a smoking ban.

What can I store in the indoor storage room and common areas?

Only use the apartment’s indoor storage room. Regardless of the number of cars, you can only store only one set of tyres (4 tyres) in your indoor storage room. If the tyres are stored inside the apartment, the floor and the surrounding area must be covered so that the tyres do not leave any marks on the surfaces. We recommend storing your tyres at a tyre hotel.

In common areas, items should only be stored in their designated places or outdoors. Storing items in the corridors is not allowed. In outdoor equipment/bicycle storages, always disconnect the battery from any electric modes of transport. Storage of mopeds indoors is forbidden.

How do I sort my waste?

Pack your household waste and take it to a waste container or waste collection tube intended for the waste fraction in question. Always follow the instructions for waste sorting. The instructions may vary slightly by area and waste management provider. Please check which waste types are recycled in your house at the waste collection point. Please note that residents must bring any waste types that are not collected at the property to the local waste collection points.

Sorting your waste helps the environment and saves money. The carbon footprint of waste management can be reduced by sorting the waste. An additional fee is charged for collecting rubbish bags left outside the waste containers. Removal of waste other than that placed in waste containers is also subject to a fee.

How can I influence the affairs of my own house?

You can influence, for example, the living comfort, financial matters and maintenance by participating in resident activities. The residents’ committee or property manager organises a resident meeting at least once a year. We recommend attending the meeting whenever you can. Anyone over the age of 18 who lives in the building can propose themselves as candidate to manage the common affairs. Resident activities are voluntary and collaborative.

The resident meeting is a great place to get to know your neighbours and discuss common affairs. At the meeting, you can set up your own residents’ committee or choose new members for the existing residents’ committee. In addition, you can choose a resident supervisor to supervise the finances and administration, a security officer and your own resident candidate for the building owner’s board.

The residents’ committee acts as a messenger between the residents and the property manager. It expresses wishes for the budget and evaluates the property’s repair needs in the spring. In the autumn, the committee issues an opinion on the long-term plan, the budget and the calculation of the residence charge.

One of the most important tasks of the committee is to organise events for the building or joint events with nearby buildings. When there is an active residents’ committee in the building, it is easier for new members to join. For example, a garden work party is an excellent opportunity to get to know your neighbours better and strengthen the community spirit while taking care of the spring or autumn chores in the yard.

In addition to the residents’ meeting, you can also participate in evening seminars. The seminars cover topics that affect everyone, such as the management by residents, the safety of the building or, for example, the maintenance and development of good neighbour relations.

On 1 January 2022, a new Right-of-occupancy Housing Act entered into force, resulting in the launch of a new cooperative body between Avain and the residents in the autumn of 2022. Resident representatives for the cooperative body are elected for a term of one to two years. The cooperative body focuses on handling housing company-level matters and reviewing the equal treatment of all its right-of-occupancy apartments.

Learn more about the activities and seminars of the resident and cooperative body in the resident newsletter, the customer magazine and the Kotiavain resident website.