When you move out

Instructions for moving out.

Instructions for moving out

I want to give up my right-of-occupancy and move out. What should I do?

When you want to give up your apartment, you must first fill in a notice of transfer. This should be done well in advance, at least three months before the planned move. The notice period of right-of-occupancy apartments is three months. You can find the transfer notice on this page and at the sales or property management offices. All holders of the right of occupancy must sign the notice of transfer. Remember to also ask your spouse’s or partner’s consent to making the notice of transfer, because without it you cannot transfer the right. You can fill out the notice electronically using the link down. The electronic notice of transfer is signed with your online banking credentials or the Mobile ID. Alternatively, you can return it by e-mail to siakaspalvelu@avainyhtiot.fi or by post to the Avain sales office. We will send you a confirmation of receipt, along with the index calculation moving out instructions.

I want to move to another right-of-occupancy apartment, how do I do that?

Right-of-occupancy holders exchanging right-of-occupancy housing between themselves do not require a running number. You can apply for a soon-to-be vacant apartment in the same building or location without a running number and you will be prioritised when selecting the resident. If you move to another right-of-occupancy property, you will need a running number issued by ARA. For more information, please contact Avain’s sales department!

When can the owner cancel my right of occupancy?

Cancelling the contract by the owner is always related to the neglect of the resident’s duties, such as a breach of contract terms, unpaid charges or a lifestyle that significantly disturbs other residents.

What are the steps for moving out?

  1. Fill out and sign the notice of transfer and send it to the owner of the building
  2. The move date is the end date of the contract or the handover date previously agreed with the owner of the building. Return the keys as agreed.
  3. Please remember that Avain has the right to show the apartment to new residents between the time of giving notice and the time the agreement expires.
  4. The apartment will be inspected before and after you move out. During the preliminary inspection, the inspector will assess the condition of the apartment and any alterations you have made. At the same time, you will find out some repairs are needed that you are responsible for. The empty apartment will be inspected after you move out to see its condition and detect any deficiencies. The inspection is carried out by a home inspector of the property management company.

What notifications do I have to make when I move out?

There are two notifications.

  1. Submit a move-out notification to the maintenance company.
  2. Remember to make the statutory notification of move at muuttoilmoitus.fi.
    The information is updated both for Posti and the Population Information System. If you want to use a paper notification form, you can use either the Posti service point or the service point of the Digital and Population Data Services Agency.